What if I am religiously opposed to using Electron for any and all purposes?
Then you are not the target audience of this program. See mps-youtube (link above) for a similar program that will not taint your machine with a library you happen to dislike.
On an unrelated note, highly polarized opinions about languages and frameworks are characteristic of people who lack real-world programming experience and are more interested in building an identity than creating computer programs.
The reasons behind Electron
- It's fun to develop for
- It uses as much resources as a single browser tab, if used in a sane way
- It provides a low barrier to entry for contributors
- It lets us easily build and deploy to all major desktop platforms (various Linux distros, MacOS, Windows)
- It lets us use React for managing the GUI
- There is no good alternative that would provide all these benefits (don't get me started on qt)